A million dollars of sales in one year?! Pffttt! Sounds like something that happens for tech companies and Kim Kardashian types…. But here’s a little secret. Million dollar businesses aren’t just for the rich and famous… Anyone can build a million dollar business, and I want to share how....
Branding is such a strong factor in business success. But branding can mean a range of different things to different people and to different businesses! Today I am going to focus in on the ‘visual’ element of branding, and to do so, I have invited 5 branding specialists to...
Kate Toon has successfully built not one, but three businesses, and her name has become deservedly synonymous with SEO. As if that’s not enough, she also hosts the copywriter’s podcast: Hot Copy, created Australia’s first Copywriting Conference: The Clever Copywriting Conference (CopyCon), and in her spare time (how the...
If you’re one of my wonderful Instagram followers, for the month of May you were part of The Great Instagram experiment. Don’t be alarmed! It wasn’t anything sinister, just me testing some theories on how to get the best results out of the ‘gram. See, if I’ve learned anything...
Recently I launched my brand new podcast The Clare Wood Podcast and on Day 2 after it’s launch, it shot to position number 2 on the Australian Apple Podcast Charts for Business.
I believe you can use something similar (of course tailored to YOUR business and target market) to launch something new in your business (including, of course, a podcast)!
Here is the strategy I used:
1.Build relationships in the community of your target market
This did NOT happen overnight for me. I have been working on my relationships in the business community for YEARS. However, the sooner you start, the better. Building a community involves:
- Regularly attending face to face networking events
- Engaging in a meaningful way online- both by commenting on social media posts of others, and adding value into industry Facebook groups
- Being “seen” at industry events
- Promoting others in the industry – for example, if there is someone in a parallel business that I respect, my values are aligned to and I believe in their product/ service, I refer work to them, shout out about them on social media etc. I believe this has been key for me, as others were happy to then “return the favour” (please note: I did not do any of this with any expectations of it being returned, but quite often people are happy to!)
2.Produce a bloody good product
- All the marketing in the world can’t save something that isn’t fundamentally good. Make sure that what you create is perfect for your target market and will hit the mark
3.Create a launch plan
- Full transparency, my “launch plan” was just a two page word document that said “share here” and had a draft of some emails and posts. It doesn’t need to be polished, but having something to work through can make sure it all goes to plan
4.Clear your calendar for launch day and a few days afterwards
- This is one I did NOT do (learn from my mistake). I was juggling client work, social media madness and 2 children. Be. Smart. Launching takes a lot of time and energy!
5.Celebrate! Whether your launch is a screaming success or a disaster, take some time to celebrate the fact that you actually did it
6.Reflect and work out next steps– what worked, what didn’t? What can you do to leverage your results? And what will you do next?
So that’s it. It’s as simple… and as difficult as that….
HANG ON CLARE…. WHERE IS THE GOOD STUFF? WHAT MARKETING ACTIVITIES DID YOU ACTUALLY DO?
Oh right… I’ve created a downloadable for you that tells to exactly step-by-step what I marketing activities I undertook (including where I posted on social media, what I posted, who I contacted and the exact emails that I sent!). You can download HERE.
Hope you enjoy, and happy launching!
Pssstt… if you haven’t already, make sure you have a listen to The Clare Wood podcast and if you love it, please make sure you subscribe and leave a 5 star review 🙂
You’ve made your extra strong coffee, the kids are at school / daycare / somewhere you don’t have to worry about them and your dog is dozing quietly in the corner. You sit down at your desk, raise your fingers to the keyboard and…nothing. Staring at your screen and...
When it comes to the business of running a business, I know easy it is to feel overwhelmed. The good days feel bloody amazing, but the bad days, well…you can feel like you’re drowning in a never-ending To Do list! So, how can you flip things around to ensure...
Being the Boss Lady has a whole lot of awesome benefits. I mean, there’s a reason why we got into this gig, right?! Like, you are the literal boss, no one tells you what to do, you can stay on top of the washing when you’re home during the...
Have you ever had great, big sexy goal, or even a smaller goal that you were so fired up about? And then you finally got there and while it felt good, it didn’t taste quite as sweet. In fact, you got there and while you were sorta happy you...
At the start of each year, I sit down and map out my plans for the year, and 2018 was no different. In January, I set a bunch of goals around work, travel and my personal life, and while I didn’t quite get there with everything, I’d say I...
- Anyone can build a million dollar business January 8, 2021
- What is Visual Branding? 5 Branding Specialists Share their Expert Knowledge April 13, 2020
- What I learned in Kate Toon’s The Recipe for SEO Success January 21, 2020
- The Great Instagram Experiment August 12, 2019
- How my podcast reached position 2 in the business podcast chart July 11, 2019